WELCOME

WELCOME!

So . . ., you've finally found the perfect place, lots of storage, nice size rooms, all the extra amenities. But, then you're told "no painting and no making holes in the walls"! You feel all your decorating plans going out the window. What can you do to make the space your own.

Well don't despair. There are many ways to get around the restrictions and limitations and I am here to share the ways I've overcome them over the past 18yrs.

I hope you enjoy my tips and will also share your own. I'll also be sharing some of my on going projects. Once again . . .
WELCOME!!!

Barbe aka Bee

January 14, 2012

My First Room Design

This is actually my first post that I somehow didn't post correctly.  So here it is again, hope you enjoy it.
This experience isn't really about rental design, but it does set the stage of my later frustrations in becoming a renter. So I thought it would be a good place to introduce something of how my creative side began. -_*  I remember being as young as 7yrs old and helping my mom rearrange the livingroom furniture. I would get so excited and would often throw in my own suggestions; some times she actually used them. : ) I would sit and dream about having my own space where I would make the decisions on how things would look. Well that day finally came when I was 16yrs old! I finally had my own bedroom and my mom said I could decorate any way I wanted!!!   Needless to say, I was bursting at the seams to put my own touch on it.


First thing I did was to paint the walls a soft misty lilac. While at the local paint store, I found this cute wallpaper; a vertical stripe design of tiny lavender and pink roses, green leaves, on a off white background. I had never hung wallpaper before but decided to try anyway if the price was right.  Well, since it was the last of the pattern, they sold me 3 double rolls for just $2.50, just right for my teenage budget. LOL   My curtains I found at a yard sale for a steal, priscillas in a crisp white chiffon.  I didn't know if they would fit my windows, but for $5.00 for the large box I couldn't pass them up.  Imagine my joy to find it was enough to fit both windows nice and full.


My bed was full size with a matching double dresser and nightstand all in ivory white with antique gold trim. The headboard had a spindles design in and the dresser mirror was a perfect match though I found it separate in another yard sale; mom taught me the art of thrift shopping at an early age. : )  I had been given a desk of the same design by a family friend, which I used as my sewing table. My mom gave me an old wooden ladder-back chair which I painted the same green as the walls.  I asked a talented friend to hand-paint the design from the wallpaper on the top edge of the chair and down the front legs.  My sewing was pretty good at that age and my mom had taught me how to embroider. So I made two ivory white pillows with deep double flouncing ruffles all around to use as a cushion for the chair and a larger one with one flounce in lavender to go on the bed. I embroidered a small leaf wreath in the middle of both! I was so proud.  My bedspread was solid lavender with deep double ruffles flowing down the sides. It also had matching shams in the same color. A few inexpensive framed pics of roses and hummingbirds from the local discount store and it was a masterpiece, IMHO. : ) My mom was so impressed that she wanted to change bedrooms with me.  
This was my first taste of freedom of expression to design my own space.  Before you ask, I'm afraid I don't have pics of that first decorating experience. Unfortunately, our home caught fire and all was lost including pictures that were taken of that room. : (  

Five years later I rented my first apartment with great expectations of having a new space to decorate. Talk about a wake up call and reality shock .     Since this eye opening experience I have learned many ways to get around the many decorating restrictions that come with being a renter.  These tips I wish to share with you.  Talk to you soon . . .
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I so enjoy hearing from you!

It's Overflowing Sunday

It's Overflowing Sunday
Great diy!

Sew Crafty Tuesday

The Sewing Loft

TheSewingLoftBlog.com

One Good Thing

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles

Photobucket